This month, we would like to introduce you to Chris Flatt, a Senior Project Architect at Nacht & Lewis!
1. What is your job at Nacht & Lewis and how long have you been doing it?
I am Senior Project Architect and have been working here for 14.663 years. When I started at N&L in April of 2001, I had no idea that I was joining such a great team of players. I am blessed to be a part of it.
2. What is the best part of your job at Nacht & Lewis?
I work on the education team which means that I have the pleasure of making a direct influence on the learning environment in schools, those student who attend it, and the staff who teach there. Everyone is excited and positive about a new project on their campus. As the Architect, I am able to share that excitement. It is what I like to call Uber-Karma. Plus during construction, I get out of the office a lot!
3. What is the one thing you love to do and wish you had more time to spend doing?
Being in nature whether it be with a group of friends or a solo hike. It is calming to leave every ounce of electronics behind for a couple days and go hug a ground squirrel. As you can imagine, prime hiking season coincides with prime project construction time as the kiddies are out of school.
4. Name one thing that you’ve done that was on your bucket list.
Rode a bike down the volcano on Maui.
5. When you were little what did you want to be when you grew up?
You know, I really didn’t have my heart set on a profession. But I did swear that I would never sit at a desk all day. I still feel that way and absolutely love the fact that I get to perform the Construction Administration phase for all my projects. That way, I am scampering around outside.
6. Favorite meal?
Cereal! I could eat cereal for every meal. Also, half baked cookies straight out of the oven. Little known fact…I have been known to return cookies that were brittle. I mean, who wants that?!
7. Do your daily/weekly tasks live in a paper notebook, electronically, or in your head? Explain why this works best for you?
Paper is king! I have a single bound notebook that all items, lists, tasks go into. It sits on my desk and I don’t have to search for it on the network. I have to write it down to clear my head, then I can provide more processing power to task at hand.
8. If you could have any super power, what would it be?
Let’s say x-ray vision. Sure would cut down on those unforeseen existing conditions!
9. What have you learned about yourself in the past 5 years?
Learning to simplify life. The less drama and riff-raff you let in, the happier and less stressed you will be.
10. What’s your favorite song/band of all time?
Pink Floyd – Have a Cigar. (not that I condone smoking)